About This Course
This course is tailored to help you create unique and intriguing characters . Using design theory and fundamental 2D drawing techniques in Photoshop, you will learn how to think creatively and put your original thoughts on paper (Photoshop). Prepare to dive in as this course will take you on a trip through a variety of topics from basic art principles to advanced rendering and painting techniques. With these new skill sets, you’ll be able to advance your creative voice and showcase it through your own characters that feel grounded in storytelling.
- Art Fundamentals – A brief overview on composition, design theory, and storytelling research.
- Sketching – Character exploration through iteration sketches.
- Head Sketch – Refining the character’s design and personality with face sketches.
- Line Art – Refining the line art to a legible design.
- Flat Colors – Laying down the color scheme.
- Rendering – Painting process, building up the values through lights, shadows, and textures.
- Polish – Final pass, toning and color correcting.
- Mandatory – Photoshop
- Optional – Lazy Nezumi Pro
TBA (probably in May)
Jude Smith is a concept artist and illustrator currently residing in Vancouver, Canada, where he has been working in the gaming industry for the past four years . Exposed to art at an early age by his grandmother who is a painter, Jude has always had an interest in drawing and painting. Growing up watching sci-fi films, playing video games, and reading fantasy novels fueled his imagination and left a big impact on him to create new worlds in the entertainment industry. In 2011, he decided to pursue art professionally and enrolled at the Art Institute in Washington D.C., graduating at the top of his class in 2014 with a Bachelors Degree in Media Arts and Animation. After college he spent a year freelancing for publishers like Penguin Random House and Martin’s Press as well as various indie gaming studios before joining Kabam where he has worked on projects such as Transformers Forged to Fight, Marvel Contest of Champions, and Marvel Realm of Champions.
In his free time, Jude’s passion for world building and story telling still drives him to work on his own personal projects and freelancing.